By the end of Year 1 your child should be able to:
- Use pictures to describe what they want to make.
- Choose resources to suit the design and task.
- Plan what to do next.
- Select appropriate tools from a selection provided by the teacher.
- Describe the materials used with support
- Mark out where they need to cut with support.
- Talk about their design.
- Recognise the strengths in the design.
- Discuss what they would change next time and their dislikes of the design.
- Know the properties of the materials they have used.
- Explore how moving objects work.
- Know that different materials will be used to make different products.
Cooking and nutrition:
- Use a mixing bowl to prepare the mixture.
- Measure ingredients with support.
- Follow safety procedures and food hygiene,
- Use basic principles of healthy and varied diets to prepare a dish.
By the end of Year 2 your child should be able to:
- Design purposeful and functional products for themselves based on design criteria e.g. designing and creating a kite.
- Design purposeful and functional products for others based on design criteria e.g. designing and creating shields for a tribe during international week.
- Generate and communicate own ideas through talking and drawing template e.g. designing their own chocolate wrapper.
- Select and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks such as cutting, shaping, joining and finishing.
- Select and use a wide range of materials according to their characteristics.
- Explore and evaluate a range of existing products.
- Evaluate their own ideas and products.
- Build structures exploring how they can become more stable and stronger.
- Explore and use mechanisms such as levers, wheels etc.
Cooking and nutrition.
- Understand where food comes from.