By the end of Year One children should be able to hold a short simple conversation in French as well as:-
- Count up to 20
- Understand and use some simple expressions/ questions eg bonjour, très bien, Comment ça-va? Quel âge as-tu? Comment t’appelles-tu?
- Name simple classroom objects eg la table, la chaise.
- Say please and thank you.
- Say a colour when asked the question - C’est quelle couleur?
- Say short phrases to express personal preferences eg J’aime le rouge mais je n’aime pas le vert.
By the end of Year Two children should be able to hold a simple conversation in French as well as:-
- Count up to 30.
- Answer questions in a short sentence - eg J’ai sept ans.
- Name the days of the week.
- Know the words for members of their family.
- Know the words for some food and be able to say what they like and do not like in a simple sentence.
- Use vocabulary they have learnt to make interesting sentences eg J’aime la pomme. La pomme est rouge.
- Listen to a simple conversation and understand the ‘gist’ of what is being said.